Soon a holiday in Tuscany? Wondering on the best Tuscany itinerary?
Find our itinerary ideas for Tuscany🙂
Tuscany tourist attractions are so many that planning a good Tuscan itinerary all depends on the length of your stay. That’s why I’m going to suggest 3 possible itineraries, for short and long stays.
1. Best Tuscany Itinerary for a short stay, 3-4 days using public transportation
3 or 4 days are few but you can still enjoy amazing Tuscan sights. The best solution is you base in Florence and do day trips from there! Florence, cradle of Renaissance art, is a must visit in Italy! considering its central location in Tuscany and the possibility to take advantage of public transportation right in the town’s center, that’s the best way to enjoy the region when you’re not willing to rent a car. You will appreciate some of the best sights while staying in one of the most beautiful art towns in the world.
You can choose one of the many Florentine charming hotels and accommodations in its historic center.
From Florence SMN Train station you can reach fantastic destinations and enjoy great day tours; here is a possible 3 days itinerary in Tuscany:
- 1 Day in Florence
- 1 Day in Siena
- 1 Day in Chianti and San Gimignano
- 1 Day in Pisa and Lucca (in case you have a further day to spend in the region)
Note, however, that there can be a lot of other great day trips to make from Florence, so give a look at the link to have an idea; you may be particularly inspired by one destination and decide to go visit it in place of one or more of the above!
The great thing about traveling is also a question of feeling free to explore an area without following a too strict scedule 🙂
2. Best Tuscany Itinerary for a short stay, 3-4 days moving by car
Having the car, base yourself in the heart of the Chianti area of Tuscany: scenic landscape, verdant forests, imposing castles, wineries… the typical Tuscan countryside that will make you feel the real essence of Tuscany. Chianti is a great home base to discover Tuscany.
- 1 Day in Chianti and San Gimignano, enjoying its wineries, landscape and medieval villages
- 1 Day in Florence
- 1 Day in Siena and Monteriggioni
- 1 Day in Pisa, Lucca, and possibly Volterra
3. Best Tuscany Itinerary for a longer stay, one week or more with the use of a car
You have more time to spend in Tuscany, take it slowly! Here follows a list of the very best sights and destinations in Tuscany, of course from my point of view! The best thing to do would be to split your days in 2 or 3 different locations to use as your base to start exploring the region. I always suggest spending half the trip in Chianti and the other half in the Val d’Orcia. Here is a dedicated post!
Have a look at the pictures of the various places to choose the ones that you most like to see during your trip!
- Chianti countryside
- Pisa and Lucca
- Siena and Monteriggioni
- San Gimignano and Volterra
- Arezzo and Cortona
- Crete Senesi
- Val d’Orcia Park and its many hill towns: Pienza, Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino, Montepulciano
- Pitigliano, Sorano and Sovana
- Maremma area