Wondering on the best place to stay as a home base to visit Tuscany? Many destinations in Tuscany can actually be great as a base, not just Florence or Siena.
Recently I’ve dedicated a post to which is the best and most convenient base to explore Tuscany, where I suggest you choose Florence’s historic center in case you have very few time to spend in Tuscany and you’re not going to rent a car.
On the contrary, I suggest staying in the countryside near Siena or the beautiful Val d’Orcia area if you are to travel by car!
Green hills and endless vineyards
In addition to Florence, Siena, and the Val d’Orcia, there’s another very good option to use as a base, not only for its beauty but also for its central and strategic location in Tuscany. It’s Chianti! Wonderful hilly area lying between Florence and Siena, famous for being one of the most important wine-making regions of Italy.
The fine Chianti Classico red wine, renowned all over the world, is produced here! You see beautiful vineyards everywhere.
This area is one of the most loved and visited by tourists who travel to Tuscany because of its unique scenic landscape with green hills, rows of vines, fields of olive groves, picturesque villages and scenic castles. To all this add incredibly good food and fantastic wine!
Here is the typical Tuscan countryside, different from the landscape you see in Val d’Orcia, but still beautiful and enchanting.
Chianti is a great base! All the most popular sights and destinations of Tuscany are within easy reach from Chianti and its lovely hill towns. But base in Chianti if you have your own car to move around!
The Best Day Trips from Chianti
- Chianti and its medieval hill villages: Castellina in Chianti, Radda in Chianti, Greve in Chianti, Panzano, Montefioralle
- Florence, the greatest city of art in the world
- Siena, the wonderful medieval city, famous for the Palio race
- Monteriggioni, tiny medieval village with a perfectly preserved circle of walls and bastions
- Arezzo, the town of Roberto Benigni, characterized by a lovely loggia
- San Gimignano, the city of the beautiful towers
- Volterra, the Etruscan town rising on a spur of rock
- Pisa, the city of the Leaning Tower
- Cortona, ancient Etruscan town with endless views
- Montepulciano, the perfect medieval town
- Val d’Orcia, notably Montalcino and Pienza
- The Crete Senesi, lunar landscape of Tuscany
With a car you can move around everywhere you like 🙂 The best way to discover Tuscany!
Where to Stay in Chianti
Chianti countryside is literally full of beautiful accommodations, hotels, farmhouses, villas, and also fairytale castles. Passing a holiday in Chianti is a great way to enjoy the countryside while being near to Tuscany top attractions. You may have a look at these special properties I suggest for a stay in the Chianti region 🙂
Need advice? Ask a Question for a customized Travel Plan!